Isn’t this sunshine amazing? It’s been so nice to wake up every day with a bright blue sky. So nice to run in the sun and not in the rain. I’m enjoying every minute and I hope you are too.
Last weekend Coach Annie, Brian and Amado competed at Festivus! They had an absolute blast and Brian came in 3rd place in the intermediate bracket! They met some new friends and saw some old friends! Competitions are FUN and Coach Annie and I are keeping our eyes peeled for more opportunities for our gym to compete. There is always a chance to compete, at any level. Novice, intermediate, masters. It’s an amazing time to come together with lots of different communities and workout together. You name it, you can do it too!
This month we turn our focus on one of the original Jablete, Michael! You may know him by the shoes he wears (only replaced once!) but as one of the founding members of Jab Crossfit Michael comes in, gets the work done and always cracking a joke or two. He may not always like what we are doing that particular day BUT he always puts in the effort and can give some very good legal advice 😉
Michael began at Alpha Martial Arts long ago, he and I used to take kickboxing together! Once the weights moved in he made the switch and I believe never looked back. Well, maybe when the WOD is Amanda….
Michael, thank you for being such a valuable member of our community. Your determination to finish every workout and your friendship and loyalty to everyone in the gym certainly makes you irreplaceable at Jab.
1. name: Michael Mayer
2. age: 47 (that would be “Masters”)
3. where did you grow up? Mostly Texas, as much as I avoid admitting it. I was born in Louisiana, which likely has just as many crackpots, but at least has a little more romance to it.
4. when did you begin at Jab Crossfit? Is this the first place you tried Crossfit? Early, early. Almost as soon as it started at Alpha. First and only.
5. what do you do when you aren’t at Jab Crossfit? I teach at SU law school when they let me.
6. how did you first hear about Crossfit? I was already going to kickboxing at Alpha, and saw the weights stacking up in the corners of the room.
7. when did you realize Crossfit was right for you? I’m still trying it out.
8. what is your favorite wod/movement/lift? As least until Kevin M. came along, I liked jumping on boxes for height. The problem is that 1) it’s not a real exercise; and 2) Kevin can jump equally high, despite not being as tall.
9. what is your least favorite wod/movement/lift? The running part.
10. what is something you have done at Jab Crossfit that you never thought you would do? Murph
11. what motivates you to get through a wod? I visualize quitting. Somehow that helps.
12. tell us something about yourself that we may not know. That I grew up in Texas?
13. what advice would you give to someone new to Crossfit? I think it requires some degree of masochism. If there’s a part of you that enjoys suffering at least a little bit, it may be a good fit. Don’t worry about the skills; they will come over time.
14. do you have any Crossfit goals? It would be really nice to do double unders.
15. what do you love most about Crossfit? It’s a cliche, but I really like the people at Alpha.